Today is the largest environmental event in the world - Earth day! In fact, it is the perfect day to get involved in activities that can help make the planet cleaner, healthier and more sustainable. Even if one starts being eco-friendly at home by buying organic products, using energy-star appliances and recycling, it is a different story with furniture. In order to remain with today’s green spirit and lending our planet a helping hand, here are some tips on how to be eco-friendly while cleaning your furniture and upholstery.
First, you need to check your furniture cleaning code as it gives instructions and precautions on how to clean and care for it! If you bought or are planning to buy Ashley Furniture, you will find a cleaning code on your upholstery and furniture. Following these cleaning codes will help you make your furniture look newer and to maintain them longer. Here are the guidelines:
Cleaning products, water…
Dry Cleaning only
Washing by hand
Clean only with dry cleaning solvent. Do not saturate. Do not use water.
Water only. Do not over wet. Do not use solvents to spot clean.
Spot clean. Do not saturate with liquid.
Vacuuming or light brushing only
Use the Millennium Leather Care Kit
Once, the cleaning tag is found, read and understood; it’s time to get equipped! In order to be efficient, you will need 3 things:
- a vacuum cleaner
- accessories like small brushes, cloth/towels,
- cleaning products and water
How to proceed?
- Vacuum your furniture till it is dust free. If you vacuum your furniture frequently you will maintain it clean and well kept.
- Spot clean with cleaning products and water on the stains you wish to remove if the code is a “W, SW, WS “. You can also use a brush to take off the stains as well. This accessory works well while using powder on a stain. Use cleaning products from manufacturers or you can make your own! If you need to clean pillows, check whether they have removable covers, as it will be easier to wash them separately.
- Dry your furniture by applying a cloth on it, if you washed it with water and foam. Vacuum it again to remove any dry powder residue. Then, you can start using your furniture again!
Homemade/Natural products tips:
Make your own washing cleaner depending on your need:
-mix lemon with some olive oil or jojoba oil will clean leather sofas, chairs and fabric upholstery. It will also remove undesirable odors
- mix water and vinegar to help you get rid of food stains and/or pet little disaster!
Make your own dry cleaning powder with baking soda and corn starch to remove grease stains on leather and vinyl. After sprinkling the solution on the stains, let it sit for 4 hours. Finally wipe it with a clean cloth.
Everybody can contribute to the environment and make the planet a cleaner and healthier place.
Happy Earth Day!